The Story Behind My Blog's Title

The Story Behind My Blog's Title
Why is my blog named "My Father's Oldsmobile"? Click on the car and find out.

Sunday, September 13, 2009

My Writing Journey - Anne Patrick's Story

Hi Guys, as promised I'm beginning the, "My Writing Journey," series this week. My first guest is author, Anne Patrick. I have to say that I was deeply touched by her story. It certainly is one to encourage us to stick with it, no matter what. Thank you Anne for sharing it with us. Please let Anne know how much you appreciate her. And feel free to ask questions.


My journey to publication has had many twists and turns and bumps along the way. I’ve made up stories in my head since I was a kid, but it wasn’t until many years later that I got the nerve to share them on paper with anyone but my mother, who was my biggest supporter. I first started submitting to Harlequin years ago, and I did have some interest from them, but they wanted steamer love scenes etc. I was more interested in the suspense than the romance so I continued to write and every so often would submit. The rejections continued to roll in, and I admit I got discouraged. I thought is this really worth all the heartache? But deep down I knew I had to continue to write. It was a part of who I was—I can’t not write. So I kept banging around on the keys, pouring out story after story. Then about a year ago I made myself this challenge. For every rejection I received I’d submit three more queries. Finally that first door opened, followed by another, then another, and before I knew it I had landed five contracts. Needless to say, I was ecstatic. I was way above cloud nine! My first novel, Every Skull Tells a Story was published first. My next one, Journey to Redemption will be out in ebook form Sept. 15th. Followed by Ties That Bind after the first of the year, Out of the Darkness in May 2010, and Fire and Ash in July 2010. All of them with different homes. And I have five other full manuscripts being considered by publishers. So the moral of this story is DON’T GIVE UP!!! Don’t let those pesky little rejections detour you from reaching your dream of publication. Write every day, continue to hone your craft (either with critique groups or a good editor) and believe in yourself. Sooner or later that door WILL open and you’ll be on your way.

Anne's newest book, Journey to Redemption, releases from Rogue Phoenix Press, on Sept. 15th. Tomorrow!

Detective Morgan Reynolds thought her nightmare was over when serial killer Charles ‘The Slasher’ Tate was sent to prison for her husbands murder. But she was wrong. The Slasher has escaped and he’s making it even more personal this time. Tate has kidnapped her son and is giving her 72 hours to find the answers he wants or Jared dies.To read an excerpt or sample chapter of this novel or one of my other upcoming releases please visit: www.suspensebyanne.blogspot.com

Journey to Redemption will be available for purchase at http://www.roguephoenixpress.com/
and Amazon Kindle

Thank you again, Anne.

Thursday's guest is Ruth Ann Nordin.

Also, a reminder that Desert Breeze Publishing is hosting a writing contest through CRR this month. The winner gets a contract. Details can be found in the previous post.

7 comments:

  1. Love your determination and grit...and wow, five contracts! Is that success or what?

    Proud for you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish you many more years of success my dear!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just wanted to drop by and thank those who have posted, and to thank Shawna again for posting my story. I think your series is a great idea and I hope all the aspiring writers out there will be encouraged by all the stories submitted to the series.

    Oh, and I love your story about the Oldsmobile!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're welcome Anne. This should announce through fb also.

    I like my Oldsmobile story too. It's near and dear to my heart.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anne, I love your plan of sending three queries for every one rejection. I try to send at least one for one. Thanks for sharing your story--successes like that are so encouraging to the rest of us!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anne,
    Thank you for sharing your inspiring story to publication!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for sharing this story. It is very inspiring.

    ReplyDelete


1970 Olds 442

Welcome!

If you're curious about the story behind the name of my blog, click on the car. :)