The Story Behind My Blog's Title

The Story Behind My Blog's Title
Why is my blog named "My Father's Oldsmobile"? Click on the car and find out.

Monday, September 7, 2009

Book Review: Fearless by Max Lucado

I haven't forgotten about my cliffhanger. I still plan to tell you how my characters changed my mind, but Max Lucado's new book releases today, so I gotta post this review. I promised. The book is well worth the interruption, btw.

Have you ever felt like a book was written with your most overwhelming fears specifically in mind? That’s how I felt as I read, Fearless, by Max Lucado. Mr. Lucado addressed numerous worrisome issues, such as fear of violence, death, and the uncertainty of tomorrow. He even tackled that forbidden little question that pops up at the most unexpected times, and casts doubt upon the very foundation of Christian belief: “What if God’s not real?”

Using scripture, personal examples, and allegory, Lucado encouraged me; reminded me of the almighty strength of Christ my Redeemer. And that trust in Him is unfailing, no matter the earthly outcome. I needn't be afraid.

I could only take the book in small doses before I’d have to close it. That’s not because I was bored. It’s because every few pages I found myself thinking, “Oh…that’s me,” and then I’d tear up to the point that I couldn’t see. I needed time to settle. I also didn’t want to get the pages all wet.

Lucado closes the book with a truly inspiring example coming from a small boy in Africa, whom upon witnessing the destruction of his home by fire, uttered words of praise, otherworldly and wise.

To quote his first few lines:

Through wind and rain
Through fire and lava
The Lord will never leave you.
Through earthquakes and floods
Through changing sea levels and burning ash
The Lord will never leave you.
If you love Him, He will bless you
and He will give you many things.


He will give you courage. He will give you peace. He will strengthen you, and make you fearless indeed!

I highly recommend this book.

Before I end this post I want to say that I had quite a response to, "My Writing Journey," post. Not just on the blog, but through personal email and fb comments as well. As a result, I'm going to be running a series of, "My Writing Journey," blog posts from two authors each week, for the next five weeks. It's my hope that this will be an encouraging and fun experience for us all.

3 comments:

  1. i haven't read lucado in such a long time. (but his children's books are all-time favs for counseling kids, so i've read those so many times they're memorized.) this sounds like a great book.

    jeannie
    Where Romance Meets Therapy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just read another review of this today. Think I'm going to have to get this book!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You won't be disappointed. I kept relating it to my fears as an author. What if my book doesn't sell very well? What if I stall out on getting this next one written? And as soon as I get past those, the rest of life's worries kick it. Lucado had a chapter for pretty much everything. This book came at the right time for me. He really puts things into perspective.

    ReplyDelete


1970 Olds 442

Welcome!

If you're curious about the story behind the name of my blog, click on the car. :)