The Story Behind My Blog's Title

The Story Behind My Blog's Title
Why is my blog named "My Father's Oldsmobile"? Click on the car and find out.

Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Eh...Why Not Post at 3:30am.

It's not like I'm getting anywhere with my query letter.

Wow! Trying to condense 311 pages into one, maybe two paragraphs, is proving to be somewhat of a challenge. Especially for a yakker like me! I'm currently working on four variations simultaneously. I do get the reason agents want this though. Anyone can get all wordy and stretch a wee little story into pages and pages of descriptive babble. Do you want me to show ya?

Eh...maybe later. But, while I'm on the subject, I have a confession to make. When I was in college I frequently used this tactic to "pull one over" on my English/lit professors. I didn't like to study. So when it came time for the exam, I'd reform the question into a statement, and reword it several times using a variety of large words and adjectives until I had stretched it into two to three paragraphs. Basically, the idea was to keep the professor from seeing the trees for the forest. (Yes, I meant to say it that way) I got good enough at this to be exempt from finals on two occasions due to my average being so high.(Also a result of this very trick) I really feel bad about it now.

Anyhow, for something I wasn't going to demonstrate, I think I just did.

So, my point. Basically anyone can be wordy. Going the opposite direction, and still being thorough, unique, and interesting; that's quite a talent (not trick). We'll see if I've got it in me.

Wish me luck!

And now I don't have to feel guilty about neglecting my blog for a few days, at least.

2 comments:

  1. So, I'm not the only one who pulled that trick in highschool? Heh, heh. I once wrote a full five-paragraph essay on Wuthering Heights, even though I hadn't actually read the book. I took two lines of notes I'd written down the day before and reworded it over and over...and got an "A+, Excellent!"

    Honestly, I think our wordiness now is due to English teachers in highschool pushing us to be descriptive and flowery in our writing--they loved that stuff back then.

    And I totally agree--query writing sucks. I've send out about six different versions so far, none of them I've been overly happy with. (Of course, that's mainly because I haven't gotten an agent to fall in love with it yet!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved reading your post, Shawna.

    Saying more with less "still being thorough, unique, and interesting; that's quite a talent (not trick)." I think that is our "game" our "job" I love it. I know some that do this very, very well and you are one of them!

    Good luck with the query!

    ReplyDelete


1970 Olds 442

Welcome!

If you're curious about the story behind the name of my blog, click on the car. :)