The Story Behind My Blog's Title

The Story Behind My Blog's Title
Why is my blog named "My Father's Oldsmobile"? Click on the car and find out.

Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Priceless Puppies

I don't have any pressing matter about writing to post today. So I'm just gonna go all chatty on ya.

At the moment, we have a very pregnant bassett hound in our house. Her name is Tootsie, and she looks a lot like a tootsie roll--except for the ears. She's my daughter's dog, and we did not get her fixed because we intend to breed her to another basset. You may have noticed that I said, "we intend to breed"; future tense, and she's already pregnant.

Over Thanksgiving we left town for about four days. When we got home, our neighbor informed us that a friend's dog, a blue heeler/border collie mix, got into the backyard. Two months later, we have a bassett hound with a stuffed belly and an udder like a dairy cow. Hmm. . .I wonder what that dog was up to?

I've been worried about what we're going to do with all of these puppies. We can't sell them. They aren't pure bred. And giving them away, who's going to want them? They're worthless. Right?

Last week, something happened to make me reconsider this. Our neighbor--same one who found the dog in our backyard--accidently ran over his red heeler. He was devastated; not just at the loss of his dog, Bindi, but by the memory of her final moments. He just kept seeing her in agony, crawling toward him, with that look of, "he'll know how to fix me."

A couple of days after the accident, a friend of mine found a puppy. The puppy was nothing special--just a mutt, with some heeler in her--but she was sweet, cuddly, and she needed a home. (Yes, there are alot of heelers around here. It's cow country.) This friend of mine didn't know about Bindi's death. Matter-of-fact, she only knew my neighbor by name. After trying all day to find the puppy a home, she decided to pray. For some strange reason, she thought of my neighbor, so she called me to ask for his number. And you can guess how the rest turned out.

Yesterday, I looked out my window, and saw my neighbor laughing. At his feet was this little puppy jumping around and wagging its tail

I have no doubt that God brought them together.
None of his creations are worthless.

Now, who wants a puppy?

2 comments:


1970 Olds 442

Welcome!

If you're curious about the story behind the name of my blog, click on the car. :)